Update: We errored in publishing that the first incident occurred in the Gage Park neighborhood and the second in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood. Both incidents occurred in the Little Village neighborhood. We have corrected the error below.

CHICAGO - Police officers investigating two separate incidents hours apart but mere blocks away led to officer injuries and shots fired overnight as unruly individuals and criminal offenders interfered with police stops.

In the first incident, a tense situation unfolded in Chicago's Little Village neighborhood when police officers exchanged gunfire with unknown offenders. The incident occurred on the 2200 block of S. Sacramento at approximately 10:52 p.m.

Officers were conducting an investigatory street stop, during which they arrested two males for possession of a handgun each. As the arrests were taking place, officers noticed two other males standing at the mouth of a nearby alley. One of the unidentified individuals opened fire at the police officers, who swiftly returned fire. Fortunately, no hits or injuries were reported from the exchange.

A pursuit ensued, and the officers were able to apprehend the two unknown offenders moments later. A third handgun was recovered from the suspects. In total, four individuals were taken into custody, and three firearms were seized during the incident.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) and Area Four detectives are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the exchange of gunfire and the initial street stop.

In the night's second incident, a 25-year-old male was tragically killed in a shooting early this morning also in the Little Village neighborhood. The incident occurred around 2:00 a.m. on the 2200 block of S. Sawyer. The victim, whose name has not yet been released, was driving southbound when an unknown assailant fired into his vehicle.

The victim sustained a gunshot wound to the body and was pronounced dead on the scene. No suspects have been taken into custody at this time, and Area Four detectives are actively investigating the incident.

Police officers responding to the shooting were met with an unruly group of individuals near the crime scene. An unknown person within the group threw an object at the officers, striking one of them in the head. As a result, an emergency 10-1 call was made, requesting additional officers to assist at the scene.

The group dispersed shortly after, fleeing the area before more officers could arrive. The injured officer was transported by the Chicago Fire Department to a local hospital for observation and is currently in good condition. No arrests have been made in connection with the assault on the officer, and Area Four detectives have expanded their investigation to include this incident as well.

Subscribe to the Chicago Journal

The Chicago Journal needs your support.

At just $20/year, your subscription not only helps us grow, it helps maintain our commitment to independent publishing.


If you're already a subscriber and you'd like to send a tip to continue to support the Chicago Journal, which we would greatly appreciate, you can do so at the following link:

Send a tip to the Chicago Journal

Subscribe to the Chicago Journal