Update: We've updated this post from the previous breaking news story.

CHICAGO - A man was shot and killed after an argument in the Old Town neighborhood on the Near North Side this morning around the same time another man was shot and killed by a Chicago Police officer in Old Town this morning, authorities said.

We'll begin with the report from the Associated Press about the first incident.

CHICAGO (AP) - A Chicago police officer fatally shot a man early Sunday following a foot chase with a suspect who had reportedly pointed a gun at another person, police said.

The man, believed to be in his 20s, was shot by an officer in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood about 5:05 a.m. CDT, Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown told reporters.

Chicago Fire Department officials said the man later died from his gunshot wounds at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

A 34-year-old officer was also taken to the hospital, where his condition was stabilized, fire officials said. He was not shot in the incident.

Before the shooting, two officers on patrol were flagged down by a person who said someone had pointed a gun at them, Brown said.

After the officers found the man who allegedly pointed the gun, a foot chase ensued and the officers temporarily lost sight of him. When the man was found a second time, one officer opened fire, fatally striking him, Brown said.

Brown said he couldn’t say how many shots were fired or whether the man had pointed a weapon at the officers.

Police said a weapon and shell casings that didn’t match the officer’s weapon were recovered near the man following the shooting.

The officer involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative duties for a 30 days, a routine step following officer-involved shootings.

Not 20 minutes after that incident, on the 300 block of W. Division Street near Seward Park (which is approximately half a mile from the above location where the officer involved shooting occurred), another man was shot and killed.

Police said a 38-year-old man was on the sidewalk and was reportedly in "a verbal altercation" when an unknown person pulled out a pistol and shot him multiple times through the body.

That man was also taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

There are no offenders in custody in this second incident. Area Detectives are investigating.

Subscribe to the Chicago Journal

The Chicago Journal needs your support.

At just $20/year, your subscription not only helps us grow, it helps maintain our commitment to independent publishing.


If you're already a subscriber and you'd like to send a tip to continue to support the Chicago Journal, which we would greatly appreciate, you can do so at the following link:

Send a tip to the Chicago Journal

Subscribe to the Chicago Journal