Update: The victims in the shooting on the 6100 block of S. Evans listed below have been identified by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office as 31-year-old Randy Pouncy and 19-year-old Sean Douglas.
CHICAGO - Two people are dead and there are an additional four people in critical condition as well as a seventh victim wounded in two separate shootings that happened five minutes apart on the city's south side Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
The first incident happened around 4:25 p.m. on the 2900 block of E. 97th in the South Deering neighborhood on the city's far south side.
Police said three men were in an argument with another group on the above block when someone in that other group pulled out a firearm and fired shots. All of the men listed below are in critical condition.
- Victim #1: 32-year-old male shot to the stomach, ankle, and thigh.
- Victim #2: 22-year-old male shot in the back.
- Victim #3: 35-year-old male shot in the right leg.
There is no one in custody. Area Two detectives are investigating.
The second incident happened not five minutes later on the 6100 block of S. Evans in the Woodlawn neighborhood about a block south of Washington Park, also on the city's south side.
Police reported three people were hanging out on a front porch on the above block when a dark blue Chevy Impala pulled up and a currently unknown person got out and sprayed the porch with gunfire.
The victims that were identified as being on the porch and their conditions are listed below:
- Victim #1: 31-year-old male was struck multiple times to the body and pronounced dead at St. Bernard Hospital.
- Victim #2: 35-year-old male also struck multiple times to the body. Critical condition.
- Victim #3: A male of unknown age between 20-30-years-old also suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body. Critical condition. (EDITOR'S NOTE: This victim is 19-years-old and has been pronounced.)
Police later updated the media to say that there was an additional victim of unknown age who self-transported to a local hospital with a gunshot wound.
Police also reported that a second victim from the above list has also been pronounced dead but were unclear which of the above victims died from their injuries. We'll continue to update as we know more.
There are no offenders in custody. Area One detectives are investigating.
At just $20/year, your subscription not only helps us grow, it helps maintain our commitment to independent publishing.
If you're already a subscriber and you'd like to send a tip to continue to support the Chicago Journal, which we would greatly appreciate, you can do so at the following link:
Chicago Journal Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.