Rahmís 15-gram rule passes
06/28/2012 9:00 AM
Last weekend, one of our neighbors graciously invited us over to see his ferrets. Then, he upped the ante, adding, ďWe can smoke some weed, too.Ē
The timing is certainly excellent, should we choose to attend a hallucinatory ferret-viewing. Yesterday, the Chicago City Council voted overwhelmingly to approve Rahmís decriminalized pot policy.
As of Aug. 4, police have the option of ticketing for possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana. A pot bust ticket will range from $250 to $500. Thatís roughly dinner for two at Moto, before drinks and tip.
I for one am fine with decriminalization of pot. If it frees up police for more pressing activities, thatís great. I have a few suggestions for the criminals cops should go after.
1. Dog owners who donít pick up after their dogs have completed their business. Seriously, there are poop bag dispensers all over the West Loop.
2. Drunken college kids on the street under our window who decide to talk VERY LOUDLY after midnight on weekend nights.
3. Party girls in stiletto heels tottering along the sidewalk, unaware of other pedestrians as they text-and-walk.
4. The racer motorcycle-riders who rev their engines as they merge from I-90 to I-290 at decibel-crashing levels (way louder than the elevated train).
5. Drivers in the West Loop who regard stop signs as merely a suggestion to slow down.